FIXED FEE PRICING STRUCTURE FOR MOTORING CASES
Our prices are reasonable and agreed in advance. In almost all cases we can offer an inclusive fixed fee, as shown below, for cases in the Magistrates’ Court. This will cover your entire case from start to finish and includes all necessary work. There are no hidden surprises.
Initial Consultation and Advice, following free initial assessment £225 + vat*
*(£245 plus vat in Drink and drug driving, careless driving and dangerous driving cases)
REPRESENTATION AT COURT
Motoring cases (excluding drink and drug driving)
Guilty plea £1,050 – £1,400 + vat
Totting up cases £1,150 – £1,900 + vat
Special reasons £1,150 – £1,900 + vat
Trials £1,400 – £2,500 + vat
Trials and Special reasons involving medical or scientific issues £1,800 – £3,200 + vat
Drink and drug driving cases
Guilty plea £1,150 – £1,500 + vat
Trials and Special reasons £2,800 – £3,600 + vat
Trials and Special reasons involving medical or scientific issues £4,600 – £6,500+ vat
Applications for early removal of driving disqualification £1,600 – £2,400 + vat
Taxi licensing appeals (revocations, refusals and suspensions)
Initial consultation £225 + vat
Representation at appeal hearing (including initial consultation) £1,300 – £1,950 + vat
Representation before local authority taxi licensing committee £950 – £1,300 + VAT
Other types of case
Costs on application
Client care letter
Once a fee has been agreed, we will send you a detailed client care letter, confirming your instructions, our advice, the costs you have agreed to pay, and the date(s) on which payment(s) is/are due.
What our fees include
- Consultations with the Solicitor dealing with your case, either in person or on the phone. We return all calls and reply to all emails on the same working day where possible and no later than the following working day
- Considering evidence, taking your instructions and advising on evidence, plea and sentencing options
- Up to three hours attendance and preparation
- Taking up to two witness statements
- Representation at Court
- All cases are dealt with by a named Solicitor and you will have direct access to him or her. We don’t employ unqualified paralegals
The fixed fee covers almost all cases, but does not include:
- Disbursements, such as expert witnesses, for example forensic science or medical evidence
- Taking more than two witness statements
- Travel costs
- Crown Court cases
- Viewing/listening to CCTV, video or similar evidence beyond 30 minutes
- Tracing/obtaining third party CCTV, video or similar evidence
When is payment due?
This will be specified in the client care letter. In most cases, you don’t need to make payment until seven days before the hearing date. In some cases we can offer or may require payment over two or three instalments. We accept most debit and credit cards. There is no surcharge for payment by card. We cannot accept payment in cash.
Most motoring cases involve one attendance at Court, or two in the case of drink or drug driving trials. In the unlikely event of additional hearings beyond that, these are charged as follows:
£750 – £950 + vat + travel
Our fee for drafting and serving a Statutory Declaration on the Court, including all necessary work up to and including the proceedings being re-opened, is £325 + vat
Where no fixed fee is agreed or applies, or if you prefer it, our hourly rates are as follows:
Preparation and advocacy – £235 per hour.
Travel and waiting is charged at a reduced rate of £157 per hour.
Letters and emails out, and telephone calls, are charged at £23.50 each. We do not make a charge for incoming letters or emails.
Where we have agreed a fixed fee, hourly rates will not be charged for work within the scope of the fixed fee.
Except where otherwise agreed and confirmed in writing, the fees above apply from 6th April 2021.
Cases involving scientific or medical issues will usually require a forensic scientist or medical expert to be instructed. Other cases may involve other types of expert witness, (for example road accident reconstruction). The prices shown above do not include their fees. However we will not incur such costs without your prior approval.
VAT is charged at the current rate of 20%.
Any necessary travel, usually by Standard Class rail, will be charged at cost. Travel by car will be charged at 45p plus VAT per mile. In some cases, a hotel may be required. Again this will be charged at cost. In all cases, we will always let you know the amount(s) in advance and we will not incur such costs without your prior approval.
Appeals to Crown Court or High Court
The fee for Magistrates’ Court cases does not include the costs of an appeal to the Crown Court or High Court.
- Meet with your solicitor, in person or by phone, (whichever you prefer), to provide instructions on what happened
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice on evidence, plea and sentencing options
- Arranging to take any witness statements (trials and special reasons cases only)
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing(s), and the sentencing options available to the court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your case will be listed, as this depends on the Court
- We will attend Court and meet with you prior to going before the Court. We will remain at Court with you until your case is concluded
- We will discuss the outcome with you and provide advice on appeal if necessary.