Police Station Assistance
If you are arrested, by law you are entitled to FREE Legal Advice & Assistance at the police station from an independent solicitor, day or night.
Our 24 Hour Police Station Call-Out service operates weekdays, weekends and bank holidays and is accredited by the Legal Services Commission.
You can call us on Freephone 0161 834 9494 or for police station assistance out of office hours, please ring 07546 384761.
Whilst at the police station you have the right to:
- Speak to a solicitor without delay
- Have someone of your choice told that you have been arrested
If the police want to question you:
- You have the right to have a solicitor there with you
- They will normally have to wait for your solicitor to arrive
- They can only delay these rights in very exceptional circumstances.
- You cannot be kept in custody without charge for more than 24 hours, except in exceptional cases, although a superintendent can authorise a further 12 hours in certain circumstances.
The right to legal advice does not normally entitle you to delay breath, blood or urine test procedures if you have been arrested for driving, or being in charge of a vehicle, when under the influence of drink or drugs. However, if you ask for legal advice the police must contact a solicitor as soon as possible.
Advice Whilst In Police Custody :
- Do not say anything or agree to be interviewed until you have taken legal advice.
- If the police are going to question you, tell them you want a solicitor before you answer questions.
- Once you’ve asked for legal advice, the police can’t question you until you’ve got it (with some exceptions).
- Remember you are legally entitled to legal advice without delay.
- Asking for a solicitor doesn’t imply that you are guilty; it’s just a sensible precaution.
- If you are injured or unwell tell the custody officer.
- If you need a doctor, ask for one.
If you want a solicitor, ask the custody officer to contact us on 0161 834 9494, any time, day or night. We will respond without delay – normally within minutes. We can also advise if a friend or family member has been arrested.
24 HOUR POLICE STATION CALL-OUT
0808 159 5177